Hydration Hacks: 5 Cool Ways to Stay Hydrated This Summer
After experiencing that polar vortex here in Michigan, it was hard to believe summer would ever come. But alas, it’s officially here and it’s been great to finally feel some warm weather again! The shift from spring to summer can be overwhelming when temperatures seem to change overnight. While proper hydration is essential in every season, it is especially important in the summer. Given the rise in temperatures and physical activities, it's difficult to maintain proper hydration levels. We need water to function properly and when deprived, it’s only a matter of time before we’re drained and dehydrated.
Luckily, the key to proper hydration is very simple: drink adequate amounts of water to stay hydrated. However, we sometimes need a little inspiration to ensure we’re getting enough water. Here are five refreshing ways to help you stay properly hydrated during these warm weather months.
1. Get creative. Make your daily hydration fun and interesting by infusing your water with healthy, wholesome ingredients. Berries, cucumbers, lemons, and fresh herbs such as mint, basil, and ginger add great flavor and health benefits to your water. Mix it up with different combinations. Keep several ingredients on hand, so you always have a good variety to choose from. Here are a few delicious recipes to get you started.
2. Use your smartphone. Yes, there’s an app – actually several apps – that reminds you to drink more water and tracks your daily drinking water intake. Water Your Body is one such app, and it’s completely free. Simply enter your weight and it’ll help determine how much water your body needs on a daily basis. Other features include customized time settings, graph and log data records, as well as tips for healthy drinking water habits. For more options just search the term “drinking water apps.”
3. Wear a hydration pack. A hydration pack is a water reservoir built as a waist or backpack. The reservoir is filled with water and contains a hose that allows the user to drink hands-free. This is an extremely efficient way to hydrate on the go. Without having to slow down and stop to open a water bottle this makes hydration almost effortless; plus it looks pretty cool, too. You can get hydration packs designed for almost any sport or activity and some are made specifically for women. Here is an extensive guide from REI to help you choose a pack that’s right for you.
4. Eat your water. While there is no substitution for drinking water, eating fresh fruits and vegetables with the highest water content is an easy and refreshing way to help you stay hydrated. One example is the properly named summer favorite – watermelon. Renowned for its high water content, it’s also rich in lycopene, a cancer-fighting antioxidant. Here are more highly hydrating foods that are also filled with essential nutrients and naturally low in calories.
5. Make homemade popsicles. There’s nothing more refreshing than a popsicle on a hot summer day. Pure water, mixed with fresh fruits or juices is a perfectly hydrating summer treat. Store bought popsicles generally contain added sugars, so making your own is a healthy alternative that will also give you endless flavor possibilities. Check out these fruit-filled popsicle recipes to help you beat the heat all season long.
Remember not to wait. If you wait until you’re thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. The best rule of thumb is to continually hydrate throughout the entire day.
So, do you have any hydration tips or tricks? If so, please share on Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #hydrationhacks and please share this article to encourage everyone you know to have a healthy, hydrated summer!